A CONFESSIONAL POEM.

Authority: Paul Bamikole 

Title: A Stranger


You want me to be your brother,

But when I stretch forth my hands in embrace, 

You turn, walk away, and hug another.

I stand so long waiting for you to show up, 

But my legs weaken till I need a brace.

All the times I called you answered another,

Once you answered and answered "who is this?"

The pain of being hung up on causes me to shudder.

Each time I asked you to dinner I got stood,

You were always too busy to spare a minute.

The seat I saved for you a stranger has taken;

I'm pained but you must know this,

A stranger now has my phone number,

And each time I call he answers.

A stranger knows my house and calls me friend,

And when I offend a stranger forgives.

A stranger fought for me when I was not looking;

When I asked ”why?” he laughs and says "you would have done the same".

I and a stranger fought and we have reconciled,

He says "you are messed up but I'm down with you, always".

I and a stranger talks like we are family,

And I find out that we are related;

Our pains, joy, fear, and desires are similar as they are familiar.

I never have to lie at the dinner when invited,

For in a stranger I found a brother.

And no, do not tell me blood is thicker than water.

For without water, what power has blood?


-Paul Bamikole

Comments

Popular Posts